miércoles, 18 de abril de 2012

Stike! March 29th 2012

A 24 hour Strike occurred all over spain on Thursday, March 29th 2012. On this day everything was closed, including the airport, metro and cabs. There was so possible way to get through the city, but my friends and I decided to rent bikes for the day. So the night before we rented bikes at a store for only 16 euros each for the day. We woke up early that morning and headed down to the beach because there was a strike. The strike was to the government's pro-business labor reforms and funding cuts to educations and other services. On this day many families and groups got together all through out Barcelona on the streets. There were bombs and people writing graffiti all over the walls. This was something that I have never witnessed before in my life. On my way back from the beach this day, I could see the smoke from the bombs that they lit off by Catalunya's metro stop. I heard that the main streets were very busy and crowded. We were enforced to not go near this during the day. This was a day that I did not understand because how can you go on a general strike for 24 hours and then the next day just go back to a normal work day. Something like this would not happen in the United States. This was an event that I will never forget.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario